Saturday, March 26, 2016

Refugee

With the recent bombings in Brussels, we're experiencing a new round of terrorism awareness. It's not something new for me; living in Turkey during Desert Storm was a life-altering experience. When the bombings began in 1991, school was canceled for several weeks. When school finally reconvened, the schedule was altered daily to avoid routine--which provides a target for those with malicious intent. We rode to school in buses with armed soldiers. Car bombings hit close to home and my father rode to work with an armed guard. Yet, our lives continued with sporting events and prom, music festivals and evenings out in the city. My parents refused to let fear rule us, and I'm so thankful for their optimism in the face of terror.

Two weeks ago, bombs killed 40 in Ankara, the city where I grew up, in a busy shopping district that we frequented. Shortly after that, another bombing occurred in Istanbul. The current bombings in Brussels have received more attention, but were actually less deadly than those in Turkey. Nonetheless, the Brussels bombing hit close to home. My second cousin, serving as an LDS missionary there, was at the airport at the time of the bombing and is currently in a Belgium hospital recovering. Three years ago, my brother and his wife were running the Boston marathon when the bombing occurred there.

Is this the way it will be? In Turkey, threat of terrorism was somewhat of a given. But to fear attacks more and more on our own soil and in European countries where Americans once felt safe traveling seems to be inevitable.

And now in Boise, our chosen home, I fully expected--not intentionally--that we would be far from the fear of radical Muslims and potential attacks. Surprisingly, Boise is one of the largest refugee centers in our nation. A trip to Wal-mart guarantees that I will hear Arabic spoken and smile at women wearing hijabs.

It's a Brave New World. But I will not fear. For one, I was brought up to look for the best in people and any given situation. And secondly, my hope is in the eternal good and glory of Christ. Maybe I'll get to befriend some of the Boise refugees. After all, we all came to Boise in hopes of a better life, and I am confident that's what we'll find.

No comments:

Post a Comment